Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tri Team has begun.......

So as it turns out the title of my blog doesn't quite fit my task this training season. I have joined the TNT triathlon team!!! I decided after 3 years & 7 seasons with my beloved Run team, I needed a new challenge. With this challenge comes not only the opportunity to train for and participate in my first triathlon, but to achieve this challenge with Brian too. Together we will be able to support one another at trainings, understand why exhaustion strikes mid afternoons on Saturdays, grow stronger as a couple and share in the accomplishments when we are done. We have never trained on a team together, so there will be some trial and error, but much fun will be had by all!!!

Tri team training officially started this past Saturday at the early morning hour of 7:30am. We met at Burgess Park in Menlo Park to embark on a morning of swimming and biking. Needless to say...I was SUPER nervous. I haven’t swam laps in years....and quite possibly never, so while I knew I wouldn't drown I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself either. Additionally, I can ride a mountain bike without a problem...now add clip in petals, a road bike with skinny tires, and the fear of falling down & getting hurt. My spin class has clip in petals and I have clip in shoes...works GREAT...the bike doesn't move!!!

Ok, so first up...swimming. They had us break into groups based on our abilities, Age, Elite, or Pro. Age is for people who don't know how to swim, haven't swum in a long time, can’t do the freestyle stroke, etc. Elite is for those who can swim but need some fine tuning. Pro is for those who were/are on a swim team, in a Master swim program etc. After hearing the options I wavered for a second between the Age and Elite groups...until I found out who was coaching the Age group. Caroline!!! I have heard nothing but great things about her and her coaching, that having her help me was the deciding factor. Age group I went! She was great....all the people in my group truly had unique challenges. I think overall I could swim the most efficient out of the four of us, but my stroke needs HELP. Caroline had us doing various drills and techniques to help us improve our knowledge of how the stroke is suppose to 'feel' and what kicking is suppose to look like. It was a bit comical at times. 40 minutes later we were out of the pool and changing to go on our first team ride, YIKES!!

Lesson One: When you think you are organized, think again. I need to rethink how I pack my bag for the days events. What a disaster I had. I brought two bags, one swim and one bike… and couldn't find anything.

After changing from our swimsuits into bike gear, we all met out on the grass field for a quick Biking 101 meeting. The coaches went over road etiquette, safety, proper alignment on your bike, and mileage. My mentor, Rich, knew how nervous I was and offered to ride with me after we made sure my bike was good to go. I needed to get the seat adjusted and practice riding on the grass to make sure I could get in and out of the petals comfortably. Once all of that was taken care of all the other groups had already left and it was just me & Rich. We set off and he led the way. We were riding 10miles out and back through Menlo Park into Palo Alto. All was going fabulously...I was clipping in and out of the petals without problem, traffic wasn't too heavy, and the weather was crisp & clear. Then we reached the intersection of Sand Hill Rd., Alameda de las Pulgas & Juniperro Serra. For those who know this intersection, my heart was pounding out of my chest with fear!!! We were making a left onto Junierro Serra from Alameda and in order to do that, you have to merge with the cars in the turn lane. Well, there was a truck that I believe thought I was going to cross over in front of him and decided to SLAM on his brakes almost causing me to crash into his rear bumper & fall....but I didn't, PHEW!! I did get a bit unsteady (remember I am clipped in), but regained my balance and all was good. We finished our ride and made it back safely. Unfortunately because I was the last one out, I was also the last one back...which I don't think has ever happened to me unless I was sweeping a course as a Run captain. SO, I missed the announcements and no photos were taken of me. :o(

Overall...my first training day was FANtastic!!! I am eager to learn more, get better, and NOT be last again. :o)

Stay tuned....track practice coming up!

Fundraising Website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/kingtri11/dzlatunich

No comments:

Post a Comment