Friday, February 25, 2011

Tri Training...Week 2

Training week two looked something like this…


Thursday was track practice at Foothill College. We started out with a short 2 lap warm up. Then went through stretches as a team. After stretching we were split into 4 groups and had 4 different stations to go to. Brian and I were in the same group and went the Running Form station first. We had to pay close attention to our form and try to correct anything that was "off". Of course our coach, Dave, explained what we should be doing....and I can't remember what that was. HAHA!! Second station was the Leg Strength.....you guessed it - lunges, squats & balancing...oh my! After about 20min of continuous leg exercises, we moved on to the Arm Strength station. In this station we had to do push ups, arm/shoulder circles (you know the ones you used to do in 8th grade gym class), & dips. Finally the last station was core......planks, sit-ups, and more sit-ups. In between each station we ran around the track. Holy cow....the next day Brian and I were sore sore we were laughing at each other.


This week we were meeting at Gunderson High School in San Jose. This was great for Brian and I, as it is only 5 minutes from our house…woo hoo…& we were having a strength clinic first. A former TNT Tri Assistant Coach, Liz Feierabend, came to talk to us about stretching and strengthening exercises we should try to incorporate during our training. Most of the exercises are done using your own body weight…very cool. It was surprising to see what I could and could NOT do….kinda funny considering how much training I have done over the past 3 years. I guess my work is never done….but I think I knew that already. :o) If you are interested in giving it a “go” let me know and I will send you the exersices!!!!


After our clinic, to the POOL we went all 50+ of us. Gunderson has a very nice pool…and not too toxic smelling (chlorine). We swam for about an hour…totaling close .75mi!!! I was very proud of that when we were done. During our swim workout we did various drills to help with kicking, breathing, and our stroke….you know all the things that keep you from drowning. I didn’t drown!!


As I have mentioned before, I believe, there are 3 groups we divide into at times based on our experience/endurance levels – Age, Elite, or Pro. When it comes to the bike, I am still feeling a bit less than confident, so I went with the “Age” group. Those of us who chose this group were split in half to do a short clinic, before riding 10mi. Yay mileage!!! The other 2 groups had left already and were riding 14-16mi….bye Brian. The drills during the clinic were great – stopping and unclipping, handling the bike in a turn, practicing using one hand while grabbing water, etc. These are the things beginner riders have trouble with and rightly so. I would say the drills took about 45min. Finally, once we were done we headed out for our ride…..we got 1mile and had to turn around because we ran out of time. WTF!!! Needless to say I was a little bummed. I really wanted to ride longer and work on getting more comfortable on the bike. Oh well, next time…..at least we did the drills and I got some basic practice.


Week 2 complete….no drowning & no falling of the bike…SUCCESS!!!


Fundraising Website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/wildtri11/dzlatunich

No comments:

Post a Comment